lunes, 4 de febrero de 2013

Chibi Japan Weekend: Interview with Ellfi, cosplayer

On Saturday, Chibi Japan Weekend will start in Madrid, and it will be focused on cosplay, for this reason, some days ago, we interviewed Elffi, one of the most famous cosplayers.

Vash The Stampede. Picture by Jackerin
                                   

Elffi is from Finland and he is 24 years old. Appart from partipaticing in many conventions as a cosplayer, he has been a judge sometimes, too.


-How did you start doing cosplay?

I got involved in Japanese anime in 2006. My cousin came to visit me and we watched Spirited Away by Hayao Miyazaki together. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and music. Afterwards I borrowed more of the movies and started to watch series like Bleach and Full Metal Alchemist. One of my good friends got interested in the same things as I, and we decided to make our first cosplays for Animecon 2006. My family is really artistic and many of us are musicians and artists. So I share the interest and also have a good eye and skills in crafts and sewing. I really like to make things.


- Which was the most difficult one? And the easiest?

I have never encountered any really hard cosplays. I just don't take any impossible challenges. I think every cosplay is a challenge, but I cannot put my cosplays in a line of difficulty. I loved to make them all.

Rai - Lamento Beyond The Void. Picture by yaci-chan


- You have participated in the WCS, how do you prepare yourself for these events?

I drank a lot of beer everyday, and made my costume in one week. I'm not good in preparing things. I like to do things when I feel like so. I also don't like to stress about things. I'm one of those lazy guys who cannot work until they are under a great pressure, if you know what I mean.


- Which are your future projects? 

Currently I'm starting my Shura, Ragnarok Online costume, it should be ready next week but I haven' even started it yet  After that I'll be doing Sinbad from Magi for April.


- How would you encourage people to start doing cosplay?

Well, if you like the idea of being someone else for one day, I would totally recommend it. It's like a free day for your brains. You will feel so much better after doing it.
But with the costume making schedule...
Ah, I'm really bad at that subject. I always start TOO late. Actually I have done all my cosplay one week before the convention... I know, I'm such an lazy ass. 
I would recommend that you start preparations MONTHS before the convention, starting with ordering contact lenses, fabrics, and wigs. And you should schedule your stuff that you would be ready at least one week before the con.


- What does it mean for you to be a cosplayer?

Ah well, this is just something I like to do. My family is full of musicians and artists as I said, so this seems so familiar and warm to me. I love to make handicrafts. Somehow it feels like the stuff I REALLY wanna do in my LIFE.


- You have been a judge in many competitions, what are the qualities a perfect cosplayer should have?

That's really hard to say. As you all know, the criterias and rules we are given in every competion are different. Personally I like people who have the skills to sew the costume, but also the idea and moves to represent the character on a stage. Somehow some people have skills to fit in one character only, but some of us have skills to fit in even larger amount of characters easily. I have no idea how that thing works.


- How do you start to create a cosplay?

I surf for photos online, dowload them, drink heaps of beer and then suddenly I start doing the costume (one week before con) 16 hours a day until it's finished.


- What does it mean to you to be a model in cosplay world?

I don't think myself as a model in the cosplay world. I'm just a normal cosplayer, just like anyone else. I just love my hobby and love to this stuff! There is nothing wrong with that, right? I just have this passion to build stuff with my hands, hit the gym to achieve the body of the characters and make everything as perfect as I can. And hoping to get better everyday! ^^ Like we all do!

Final Getsuga Tenshou Ichigo. Picture by Hanna  Hyttinen


To see more pictures you can visit these websites:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.212726668770668.53194.212638442112824&type=3
http://elffi.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://worldcosplay.net/member/Elffi/
https://twitter.com/ElffiCosplay

Don't use the pictures without the permission of the owner.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario